Monday 15 March 2021

A Look Back at the Live-Action Disney Sing-Along Songs #4: Let's Go to the Circus! (1994)

 Hey guys! How was your weekend? Mine was good. Today I'm continuing with my series on the Disney Sing-Along Songs VHS tapes with Let's Go to the Circus!. Last time I talked about Campout at Walt Disney World, the first of the Mickey's Fun Songs tapes to be re-released as Disney Sing-Along Songs tapes and it was pretty good you know. Not as good as Disneyland Fun but that tape set a pretty high bar for the live action Sing-Along Songs releases, but still decent despite the fact that there was only one actual Disney song they sang. Will Let's Go to the Circus! be just as good or will it suck? Let's get into it and find out.


I'd seen other reviews of this tape on YouTube before I saw it myself, and most of the people who talked about this tape said it was boring and outdated. And that was one of the reasons I wanted to do this series, because I thought there was no way it could be as boring and outdated as those reviewers said it was. It was. In fact Let's Go to the Circus! is the most boring and outdated of all of these tapes. As with The Twelve Days of Christmas and Campout at Walt Disney World, I didn't grow up with this tape. In fact last night was the first time I'd ever seen it. So yeah, it was boring and outdated, to me as a 34 year old adult. However, if I'd seen this when I was growing up in the 90s, I would've eaten it up with a spoon, because what kid wasn't fascinated by the circus in the 90s? I mean, there were two things that appeared in at least one episode of almost every show that I watched when I was a kid, and they were the circus and carnivals. Heck, sometimes they'd combine the two into a carnival circus. Even Barney & Friends had several circus and carnival themed episodes when I watched the show in the early 90s. 

The problem is, now that I'm an adult I don't find circuses to be entertaining and the spectacle is gone for me. Plus the Circus doesn't exist today the way it did before 1969, though media such as shows and movies still portrayed them as such, even if they had contemporary settings. So the tape feels extremely outdated and not alot of fun to watch. 

However, during the segment known as "The Bells" which is the theme from New York, New York I actually laughed because the physical comedy in it was similar to what I remember seeing in old Three Stooges films, Abbott and Costello films, and Whose Line is It Anyway? episodes. So that was cool. 


Let's Go to the Circus! was originally released as a Mickey's Fun Songs tape, coming out the same day as the previous tape, Campout at Walt Disney World, as well as the third series re-releases of the Disney Sing-Along Songs tapes, Heigh-Ho, You Can Fly!, The Bare Necessities, Under the Sea, Disneyland Fun, I Love to Laugh! (renamed Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious for this re-release), Be Our Guest, and Friend Like Me. Just like Campout at Walt Disney World, there's only one Disney song on this whole tape, the rest of the songs are all either circus themed songs or songs from other movies such as Singin' in the Rain ("Make em' Laugh"), The Pirate ("Be a Clown"), and New York, New York (the previously mentioned "The Bells"). And the only Disney song on this tape is "I Wan'na Be Like You", which is also from The Jungle Book. Go freaking figure!

I do want to talk about the kids on this tape though. There are four kids from Campout at Walt Disney World and they are Christian Buenaventura, Tiffany Burton, Toby Ganger, and Michelle Montoya. I'm pretty sure all four of these kids show up in all three Mickey's Fun Songs releases. However Tahj Mowry, the younger brother of the stars of the 1994 sitcom, Sister, Sister, Tia and Tamera Mowry. This was before Tahj would be the lead on the 1997 sitcom, Smart Guy, however, at the time this tape was filming, he was playing Michelle's best friend, Teddy on Full House. So that's pretty cool. 

Overall, this tape is boring as heck. Like I said, if I'd seen it when I was a kid, I would've loved this tape. But watching it for the first time ever now, as an adult, and watching it by myself, without anyone who did grow up with this tape, the magic wasn't there. If that makes any sense. I think kids might like this one for sure though. 

Alright that's going to be it for me today. Join me next week when I'll be looking at Disney Sing-Along Songs: Beach Party at Walt Disney World, which is probably my favourite of this block of Sing-Along Songs tapes (I originally watched it months ago). I'll be back on Wednesday with my review of Superman: Earth One Volume 1. So until then have a great rest of your day and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment